Pope Street Bridge
Mixed media, 53″ x 40″, unframed
The Pope Valley Road was the original name of Pope Street. A wooden bridge crossed the Napa River at first, which was destroyed and carried away in flood in the 1890s. As the gateway through which the people of Howell Mountain, Pope, Chiles and Conn valleys must pass, people realized the necessity of a new bridge. The project was a collaboration between the St. Helena city council and the Board of Supervisors. Convinced to build of stone by R.H. Pithie, St. Helena contractor and one of the most reliable and efficient stone masons in the state, the project was completed in 1894. Pithie was awarded the contract, the cost being $17,500. The Pope Street Bridge is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Professional career: Market by Design I have a successful career in marketing, writing and design, working as graphic designer and public relations specialist. I am a regular contributing writer for Marketplace Magazine. A special privilege is working as a business advisor at Napa Valley College Small Business Development Center. In my teaching and advising, I help other artists with sales strategies and marketing tools.
Working in education Each year, I work with a fabulous team at Napa Valley College to produce the Youth Entrepreneurship Program and the Hospitality Symposium.
Accomplishments I am a Napa Valley College marketing specialist, a teacher, and a business advisor. Since 1996, my firm Market by Design has created freelance graphic design, marketing, consulting, book design and editing, and social media.
- MFA San Francisco State University
- BA Art & Design, San Francisco State University
- BA English, Pepperdine University
- AA Ceramics, Laney College
- 2011 Winner Team Contributor Award for Dedicated Service and Commitment; California Regional Small Business Development Centers
- 2011 Napa Valley Adult Education Student of the Month, in recognition of exemplary scholarship, citizenship and community service
- 2011 grant recipient from Napa County Commission for Arts & Culture to teach Business of Art Workshop Series
- Napa Valley Art Association
- California Arts Council
- St. Helena Chamber of Commerce
- Napa Valley Open Studios